This new publication showcases efforts to reform pretrial practices in six sites participating in the Justice Reinvestment Initiative (JRI), a project of the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA).
Launched in 2010, JRI supports data-driven state and local criminal justice reform efforts across the country. As a technical assistance provider for JRI, CJI worked with six sites to:
- Analyze local jail populations
- Work with a local stakeholder group to create strategies to reduce corrections population and spending
- Implement the selected strategies
Pretrial-focused strategies implemented in the six sites include:
- Expanding capacity for defendant assessment
- Enhancing supervision and bail strategies
- Reviewing the status of detained defendants for potential release
- Reminding offenders of upcoming court appearances
To read the report, click here.