In honor of Second Chance Month, the Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections (DPS&C) is partnering with community providers to host a variety of in-person and virtual events. Second Chance Month raises awareness of efforts throughout the country to support individuals returning to the community after incarceration and reduce recidivism.
In 2017, Louisiana passed a comprehensive criminal justice reform package as a result of its Justice Reinvestment Initiative (JRI) effort. Since that time, the Crime and Justice Institute (CJI), funded by the Department of Justice Office of Justice Programs Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA), has provided technical assistance to implement the provisions of that legislation and worked with the Louisiana Women’s Incarceration Task Force to develop policies to improve women’s services in prison and on community supervision.
DPS&C will host the “Return for Good” webinar series, which highlights issues facing individuals reentering the community. These webinars are open to the public, and community stakeholders are encouraged to attend:
- April 13, 10:30 a.m. to noon CT: “Return for Good: Community Incentive Grants and Second Chances”
- DPS&C and CJI will provide an overview of Community Incentive Grants, funding administered by DPS&C to community providers per JRI legislation, and grantees will describe programming they deliver with this grant funding. The webinar will spotlight individuals with lived experience who are providing services for those released from incarceration.
- April 20, 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. CT: “Return for Good: Occupational Licensing and Collateral Consequences”
- Panelists will discuss barriers for returning citizens and strategies to address those barriers. Representatives from the Louisiana Board of Cosmetology will be joining to describe a program developed with DPS&C for justice-involved women and success stories from participants.
There are also several events geared toward individuals involved with the justice system. Stakeholders are encouraged to share these events with their networks:
- April 6, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. CT: *VIRTUAL* Resume Writing Bootcamp at the Urban League of Louisiana
- April 13, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. CT: *VIRTUAL* Mock Interview Bootcamp
- April 27, 10 a.m. to noon (for currently confined individuals) and 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. CT (for probation/parole and justice-involved individuals): *VIRTUAL* Job Fair